Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Updating the N950 firmware

I just got a N950 like probably some other KDE contributors will be getting this week. Thanks Nokia!

I am writing this blog to bring two things into your attention:
* The firmware shipped is not the last one, you might want to download the new one.
* Updating the firmware failed for me with a "USB interface: Device or resource busy" error

To fix this problem I needed to run
while true; do modprobe -r cdc_phonet; done
in a separate terminal and then it all worked (note it takes around 20 minutes to update, be patient) (kudos to google for showing me the answer in an obscure irc log)

5 comments:

leinir said...

You may even find that you have to find a windows machine to perform the upgrade. That is, i (and at least one other person on the harmattan irc channel) ended up having to do it that way.

You may also find that you're able to avoid doing so - seems that you can update it from an exopc with meego installed, and as there's likely to be a few of those floating around with the readers of this blog, that might be an option too :)

PiggZ said...

the other solution, which i used, was to remove the module, and then add it to the blacklist to stop it reloading.

JR said...

I so very much wanted a commercially sold N950, but it seems Nokia didn't want my money...

Ivan Čukić said...

I guess you could have just blacklisted the module in question. Did you try that?

David Faure said...

This link has a cleaner solution indeed, blackinglisting the module.